Welcome to MyDance Alliance
Founded in 2001, MyDance Alliance brings together dance practitioners and dance enthusiasts to support and promote dance in Malaysia. A network organisation with local and international links, MyDance Alliance is a member of the World Dance Alliance.
MyDance Alliance aims to support and promote the many forms of dance that exist in Malaysia by focusing on five aspects of dance:
- Education & Training
- Research & Documentation
- Creation & Presentation
- Management & Promotion
- Welfare & Status
What is MyDance Alliance doing right now?
- The MyDance Alliance e-newsletter -- a fortnightly newsletter with information about dance performances, opportunities, workshops, training and events in the Klang Valley and internationally. Sign up using the form at the right. View previous editions of the newsletter here and here.
- Occasional workshops by visiting international dancers and choreographers -- Sign up for the MyDance e-newsletter to receive updates about upcoming workshops. If you are a professional dancer or choreographer and would like to offer a workshop to the Malaysian dance community during a visit to Malaysia, please email
For faster updates about MyDance Alliance activities, check out our Facebook page
These were our major projects for 2013:
- Asia Pacific Impro! -- Conceived and produced by MyDance committee member David Lim, Asia Pacific Impro! was a meeting point for selected dance and music improvisers in the Asia Pacific region to conduct research, provide workshops and engage in performance. For more information, go to www.asiapacificimpro.org.
- MyDance Festival 2013 -- The fifth festival from MyDance Alliance, brought together the Malaysian dance community for performances, workshops, film screenings, parties and, of course, lots of dancing! For more information, click here.
- MyDance Improvisation Series -- Conceived by MyDance committee member David Lim, this bi-monthly series aimed to serve as a platform for local dancers and members of the public to experience and to explore the field of dance improvisation. This was done through the organizing of workshops, jams, performances, and also collaborations with musicians. With the support of Kakiseni, the series employed Free Space as its home. For more information, click here.
2011 was a big year for MyDance Alliance, with major activity revolving around the MyDance Festival and the Asia-Pacific International Dance Conference. In 2012, we focused on our fundamental projects and services to the dance community, as well as finding ways to become a more self-sustained organisation.
- Dancebox at the Actors Studio -- a regular night of dance, featuring emerging choreographers and experimental works. Dancebox is on hiatus for the first part of 2013, but we look forward to it coming back soon!
- Dance Film Series -- free dance film showings in collaboration with Five Arts Centre. For more information, click here.
- Malaysian Dance Archives -- a project to collect, document and store programs, posters, flyers, DVDs, videos and images from Malaysian dance productions, and to make these resources available to dance scholars and the interested public.